Wednesday, May 16, 2007

No Longer a Servant!

John 15:15

"I no longer call you servants, because as servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."

For a long time I have had the idea that I wanted to be God's servant. I heard good talk about servanthood and servant-like hearts, and I concluded that I should be a servant. Seemed like the logical way to go about things right? Servanthood automatically equals being a servant.

But somewhere, I missed one important thing. God wants me to be servant-LIKE. But here in John, He tells me that He also wants me to be His FRIEND. Imagine that! Instead of trying to be God's trusted servant, I should want to be His friend. Wow. God doesn't want my servitude. He wants me. How amazing is that?!? I never thought about it in such a way before. The difference between servant-like and servant is a huge fundamental difference. Like the difference between being the King's servant and being the King's friend. Of course, both have to respect and obey the King. But just think of the rest of the differences between them. Wow.

Just yesterday my dream was to hear God tell me "Well done, good and faithful servant." But I struggled with my failures as a servant. I could never be good enough. I prayed for this over and over, but God never seemed to be answering this prayer the way I wanted. But today, I think I've found the missing piece. Today my dream has become instead to hear "Well done, good and faithful... Friend." Suddenly I feel the clouds that were blocking my vision before are parting before me now. Friend... Yeah, that has a nice sound to it. God really is great!

No comments: